We say it all the time, we design and build heirloom quality furniture. Pieces that can be handed down to family, used for generations. We craft our furniture from high grade hardwoods, making each piece capable of withstanding fluctuations in temperature and humidity. However, in cases of extreme humidity or dry conditions, the wood can shrink and crack as a result. This is a rare occurence, but needs to be considered when owning fine furniture.
TO PREVENT YOUR WOOD FURNITURE FROM CHECKING (CRACKING), WARPING, OR DRYING OUT, PLEASE CONSIDER:
- Wood is happiest and does best in moderate temperatures of approximately 70 – 72 degrees fahrenheit and approximately 50 – 55% humidity,
- Frequent or sudden changes in humidity can damage your wood furniture,
- Avoid storing wood furniture in the basement, attic, garage, or a warehouse that is not climate controlled,
- Keep your furniture away from heat sources such as fireplaces and radiators,
- Use a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture from the air if it's especially rainy where you live,
- Keep furniture out of direct sunlight, as this is a major cause of premature aging, drying of the wood and cracking,
- Store table leaves as close to your table as you can (or choose to have built-in leaf storage included in your design) to ensure they are exposed to the same relative humidity and temperature.
Creaking or popping noises are normal as wood furniture adjusts to temperature and humidity levels. Keeping this advice in mind, as well as following our Care Guidlelines will ensure you have your beautiful investment for years to come. As always, if you have any questions, drop us a line!